Thursday, November 25, 2010

Giant Balloons At The 2010 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Kung Fu Panda (Dreamworks Animation)
"Super Cute" Hello Kitty (Sanrio)
Takashi Murakami's "Kaikai" and "Kiki"
Takashi Murakami's "Kiki"
Ronald McDonald (McDonald's)
Sailor Mickey (Disney Cruise Line)
Kermit The Frog (Disney)
Shrek (Dreamworks Animation)
Spiderman (Marvel Entertainment)
Spongebob Squarepants (Nickelodeon)
Pikachu with Pokeball (The Pokemon Company International)

While much of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade's roster of giant balloons is dedicated to readily identifiable figures, the parade organizers try to make room for what they call "high art." This year's giant balloon lineup for the Macy's Thanksgiving parade included new characters like Kaikai and Kiki (Kaikaikiki Co. Ltd.). These characters were designed by Japanese artist, Takashi Murakami who in the global art scene is known for his inflatable sculptures of psychedelic anime-style cartoon characters as well as his Louis Vuitton handbag and Casio watch designs. The parade is a "snapshot of the American culture," according to the executive producer of the parade, Robin Hall. Aside from giant balloons, the parade featured marching bands, floats, cheering clowns and a host of celebrities like Jessica Simpson, Kanye West and Gladys Knight. The images of the balloons were made earlier this morning at the intersection of 42nd Street and 6th Avenue.

1 comment:

mike the tv guy said...

Hello,

My name is Mike Losquadro, my fiancee and I were balloon handlers for Shrek in this year's parade. I asked her to marry me on the route, on the west side of 6th ave. between 42nd and 41st streets right behind the Shrek balloon, just about where you were standing for all of your great pictures. That moment is so memorable but unfortunately I cannot find a picture of us anywhere. I've been kicking myself daily for not arranging someone to be there with a camera but I didn't want to ruin the surprise, she was right next to me the whole day. I was wondering if that moment was caught perhaps in the background of another photograph. There were clowns walking with Shrek and actually one of them doused us with confetti as I was asking her.

Any help would not only be greatly appreciated but also cherished for the rest of our lives. I'm willing to purchase the picture or do whatever I can to obtain the picture.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate your efforts.

Happy Holidays!!

Mike Losquadro